- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location : Kharkiv
- Close Date :
Duty station: Kharkiv
Key working relationships:
- Position Reports to: WPE Coordinator, WPE Senior Manager, WPE Manager, WPE Senior Officer
- Internal collaborations within IRC: Child Protection team; Protection team; Economic Recovery and Development team; Health team.
- External collaborations to IRC: GBV actors, organizations, and agencies
The Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) Prevention Officer will oversee GBV prevention, community engagement and risk reduction activities. These activities will focus on targeting communities on issues relating to GBV to using a variety of context appropriate methods. Specifically, the WPE Prevention Officer will be responsible for:
1) Program implementation and quality: Proactively creating and developing GBV mitigation and community engagement activities, ensuring that best practice, WPE guidelines and approaches are being followed, specifically:
- Train and support other IRC sectors and agencies in risk reduction and the identification of concrete actions they can take to increase women and girls’ participation and mitigate risks they face in the community.
- Seek technical guidance and support from the WPE Senior Officer on activity development, implementation and available resources.
- Reinforce adherence to the GBV guiding principles throughout all WPE activities, and ensuring confidentiality of survivors, informed consent and respect for their wishes and decisions.
2) Engagement in needs and vulnerability assessments: Following approved procedures, guidelines and assessment tools, be directly responsible:
- For mapping and conducting initial needs and vulnerability assessments at the community and settlement level.
- For conducting Security Audits and preparing reports in collaboration with WPE Senior Officer.
- For mapping the location, types of program activities, reporting on their coverage.
3) Community engagement: Build and maintain relationships the communities, including local leaders, groups and organizations and actors, specifically:
- Provide training to organizations and actors on GBV and risk reduction.
- Develop messages on the types of services available to survivors of GBV, where these services are available, how communities can support survivors to access services, and the consequences of GBV and the benefits of seeking care and support, using a variety of context-appropriate methods.
- Conduct a variety of community outreach and mobilization activities aimed at violence prevention and building supportive and protective communities towards women and girls.
- Support distributions of risk reduction and dignity kits items and follow-on monitoring
4) Administration and reporting: Lead WPE prevention program reporting (through direct implementation and support partners), including:
- Prepare and submit weekly activity work plans in a timely manner to agreed-upon deadlines
- Prepare brief daily report on activities conducted and submit weekly to the WPE Senior Officer
- Complete all relevant tools for activities conducted
- Contribute to monthly reports, including information on community engagement activities, community consultations, and progress made
5) Coordination & representation: Engage with organizations and actors on identifying concerns and strategies that reduce risks faced by women and girls, collaboratively develop actions to address concerns. And where requested by supervisor, actively take part in coordination meetings relevant to WPE.
6) Other: Support program quality by ensuring all activities are carried out in accordance with IRC policies and delivering duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- Language: Ukrainian, English required
- Higher education with at least a bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Human Rights, Social Science, Public Health, Humanities or other related field, desirable
- Demonstrated experience with community work, community mobilization and engagement, and working with women and girls affected by conflict/crisis
- Ability to keep records and write simple and basic reports of activities would be an added advantage
- Comfortable speaking about sensitive topics in an honest, professional, and thoughtful manner
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to maintain confidentiality and respect for clients/beneficiaries
- Positive and professional attitude, including ability to lead and work well in a team setting
- High degree of flexibility and strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- Computer literate, including Microsoft Word and Excel
Standards of Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.#Li-GH2
How to ApplyWe do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization's page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.